Home Then and Now Then and Now, May 8, 2024

Then and Now, May 8, 2024

0
Historic photo courtesy of George Edson.
The one-story brick building at 11 East State Street was constructed in 1940 by Montpelier businessman and city councilor Harry Sheriden to meet the requirements of the A&P grocery store chain. The vaguely “moderne” ornamentation along the top of the facade did not last long; in the 1950s the curves on the parapet wall, corner lamps, and clock were removed in favor of the present flat design. The A&P left town in 1975, and the building stood empty for five years until 1980, when International Coins and Currency occupied the space for a while. The Vermont Center for Independent Living purchased the building in 1994 and occupied it until last year, when the building was badly damaged by the July floods; the organization plans to return to the building when flood damage is repaired. 

The Montpelier Historical Society will have a presentation on this and other buildings along East State Street on June 9 at 2 p.m. at the North Branch Nature Center.

UNDERWRITING SUPPORT PROVIDED BY