Turf Material May Contain PFASPerfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances, or PFAS, are called “forever chemicals” because they don’t break down in the environment and can leach into groundwater over time. Since the 1940s, they’ve been used in the manufacturing process of a variety of consumer products, including non-stick cookware and cosmetics, as well as in firefighting foam. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has linked high levels of PFAS contamination to health problems including cancer, immune system suppression, and reduced fertility.
A $5.3 Million ProjectThe district had hired Burlington consulting company, Engineering Ventures, to complete a feasibility study about possible track improvements. The school board set aside $1.5 million from its reserve funds for the track replacement, but LaRosa told the board that the amount would fall short of the investment needed for the project by $900,000. Any track upgrades are complicated by the requirements for proper drainage on the site, which is part of the Winooski River Foodway and within the 100-year floodplain and the Agency of Natural Resources River Corridor. The board deferred its decision on the replacement track, citing the need to resolve questions about the proposal. Beyond the track replacement and turf field inside the track, other proposed facilities improvements include a new maintenance building, a press box, and a concession and picnic area, as well as new lighting. The total price tag would reach $5.3 million, according to LaRosa.
Stories about Montpelier Roxbury Public Schools
- School Board Grapples with Wages, Transparency, and Budget
- Equity Advocate Garces Resigns from School Board
- MRPS Budget Lowers Montpelier Taxes, Raises Roxbury Taxes
- MRPS School Budget Boosted by Federal Grants: No Tax Increase Expected
- MRPS Superintendent on Extended School Closure
- School Board Considers $5.3 Million MHS Track and Amenities
PFAS May be a Concern
- Education Department Clarification Improves Chances of Avoiding Massive Homestead School Tax Increase
- Montpelier Roxbury School Taxes Could Rise Significantly; Future of Roxbury School Raised
- New Budget Numbers from MRPS, RVS Will Stay Open