UNDERWRITING SUPPORT PROVIDED BY
Then and Now, 10.6.21
The small brick cottage at the corner of College and Arsenal streets is a small portion of a much larger three-building complex that once stood there. A substantial brick arsenal was constructed here during the Civil War, just down the street from the U.S. Army’s Sloan General Hospital, to hold the state’s munitions. A fire caused by lightning in September 1945 destroyed the main building and many of the state’s military records, leaving this small cottage and a granite-post fence surrounding the property, which was divided up into private building lots.