UNDERWRITING SUPPORT PROVIDED BY
Then & Now, 9.1.21
The intriguing two-story office building at 3 Pitkin Court has an impressive past. It was constructed in 1861 on State Street next to the North Branch by James French as Montpelier’s first post office building. It resided at this location for only nine years before it was moved to Main Street to make way for another building that still stands. In its new location the French post office building acquired a mansard roof before moving again to make room for the new city hall around 1900, in the process losing some arched windows.