The hotel we know as the Capitol Plaza was built as the Montpelier Tavern in 1932, a three-story hotel replacing an 1826 wood-frame hotel on the same site. A fourth story was added above the cornice line in the 1940s as seen in the top photograph. The hotel had a modern convenience: a 20-car garage to serve the motoring public. In the 1960s the hotel was renamed the Montpelier Tavern Motor Inn and flourished. Two additions were made to the back of the hotel in the 1960s, then the main block of the hotel was extended easterly in 1968, and finally a six-story tower was built four years later, bringing it to today’s configuration.