At the turn of the last century, Charles A. Smith, a dealer in granite and marble, displayed his four teams of horses, the last one pulling a large block of granite, outside of his storefront at 22 Main Street, known as the Bacon Block, where the Drawing Board is located today.
The display windows in this ca. 1875 building have greatly changed, but the first floor of the ca. 1895 tan, Italianate building next door (Montpelier Steam Laundry in 1900, now home to Bagito’s) retains its original window configuration.
The two-story building at the left was replaced in 1907 by the three-story, concrete Tomasi Block, which in turn was demolished in 1988.
Historic photos courtesy of Vermont Historical Society.