The most colorful church in Montpelier was the First Baptist Church on School Street, separated from the city’s “big three” churches on Main Street by several of blocks.
Designed in 1868 by local architect A. M. Burnham, the building featured many intricate details highlighted by contrasting colors. In 1961 most of the church’s striking architectural details were removed, including the tower and second entrance on the right.
The building is now home to the Lighthouse Christian Church, although weekly Baptist services are still held there.
Historic photos courtesy of Vermont Historical Society.
Captions and modern photos by Paul Carnahan.
UNDERWRITING SUPPORT PROVIDED BY