Captions and modern photos by Paul Carnahan.
At one time, the Italianate house at 56 East State Street had an impressive view of the village and a sweeping side driveway from the street, as shown in this 1885 watercolor by itinerant painter James F. Gilman.
This was the home that successful baker and businessman Charles H. Cross built for himself in ca. 1850. Cross mechanized the process of baking crackers and made a fortune selling them in an era when crackers were sold door-to-door.
His bakery was on Main Street, an easy walk from his home, where City Center now stands. The Cross house is now offices, hidden behind a parking lot.