Home Columns Then and Now 11.18.20

Then and Now 11.18.20

38
0

“Kinstead” was constructed on upper Main Street by the Board of Charities and Probation as a shelter home in 1922 on land donated to the state by the citizens of Montpelier. The facility closed in 1958 and was occupied by the Green Mountain Special School. In the late 1980s it became home to the New England Culinary Institute. The original building has been dwarfed by an extension on the front and a raised roof, but a pair of original tripartite windows and three cellar windows can still be seen on the street side of the building.